To Access Our Services and Programs and Become a BCRC Client
Please complete our intake form or call our hotline at 512-524-2560.
Eating food that nourishes your body before, during, and after cancer treatment can help you feel better and stay stronger. Eating a well-balanced diet ensures you are getting the proper nutrients, such as protein, vitamins, and minerals. Below you will find several resources that will assist you to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle. You might also find working with a registered dietitian (RD) or a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) to be helpful as well.
The Impact of Nutrition on the Cancer Experience
La Nutrición ¡está de tu lado!
- National Cancer Institute Nutrition in Cancer Care
- American Cancer Society: Nutrition for People with Cancer
- Healthline: Maintaining a Healthy Diet with Breast Cancer
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: Nutrition and Cancer with recipe finder
Although it might be difficult during or after treatment, it is important to stay as active as possible while experiencing breast cancer. Keeping your body moving is important for your overall health and can also lessen certain side effects from treatment. Below you will find several resources that will assist you to maintain an active lifestyle.
How to Promote Lymphatic Health During and After Breast Cancer Treatment
Exercise and Breast Cancer
Sistema Linfático y Linfedema
- New Year New Resolution. No Gym. No Problem
- Exercising and Breast Cancer-Start Low and Go Slow
- Pelvic Health & Breast Cancer Treatment
- Benefits of Myofascial Release Therapy after Mastectomy & Lumpectomy
- Physical Therapy: What is it and how can it help?
- Oncology Rehabilitation 101
- Sexuality After Breast Cancer – by Dr. Don Dizon
- Myths and Truths about Lymphedema – Recap of June’s Educate & Empower Series
- Sexuality & Breast Cancer by Tiffany T. Garrett, MA, NCC, LPC-S
- BreastCancer.org: Exercise Safely
- UCSF Health: Breast Cancer Self-Care and Recovery-Exercise Program
- Find a certified Cancer Exercise Trainer in your area
- LiveStrong at the YMCA
- MD Anderson Cancer Center: Active Living After Cancer
Integrative and Creative Arts Therapies
Integrative medicine is healing-oriented medicine that considers the whole person. It is part of a comprehensive plan to treat the disease and its side effects. Therapies used in integrative medicine can include yoga, reiki, meditation, and oncology massage, among others. Creative Arts Therapies uses the creative and expressive process of art making to improve and enhance the psychological and social well-being of individuals. Creative Arts Therapies include music, art, writing, and dancing. Below you will find several resources that explain these therapies and provide you with ways to add them to your treatment and post-treatment.
Part 1: How Integrative Medicine Can Impact Your Cancer Experience: Manual Therapy, and More!
Part 2: How Integrative Medicine Can Impact Your Cancer Experience: Energy Therapies + Mind-Body Techniques
Caring for Your Skin During Cancer Treatment
- Moving Beyond Cancer Collaborative Enhancing the Reach of Integrative Health and Wellness Services
- How Can Integrative Oncology Help Those with Cancer
- The Healing Power of Mindfulness
- What is Oncology Esthetics?
- Benefits of Yoga During & After Cancer Treatment
- How Chinese Medicine Can Help Complement Cancer Recovery
- Mindfulness & Meditation Through Cancer & Beyond
- The Healing Power of Gratitude
- How Narrative Medicine Can Help You
- Complementary Therapy Series: Acupuncture
- Importance of Self Care?
Receiving a breast cancer diagnosis can be an extremely stressful and overwhelming. When dealing with a breast cancer diagnosis, your mental and emotional health is just as important as your physical health. Once treatment begins and as you move into post-treatment, working with a mental health professional can help you cope with the different emotions you might be feeling. Below you will find several resources that will assist you to connect to a mental health provider.
Mental Illness in the Black Community
Grief & Loss from a Diagnosis and Treatment
Metastatic Breast Cancer & Grief
Caring for Your Mental Health During and After Treatment
Should I See a Mental Health Provider?
How to Choose a Mental Health Provider
Cuidado Antes, Durante, y Después del Tratamiento
La Salud Mental en la Comunidad Latina
Search for a Mental Health Provider
Low Cost/Sliding Scale Mental Health Providers